Friday, September 7, 2012

Member Spotlight // Petra Anderson

Meet Petra Anderson! Be sure to check out her blog at Sew Paint Create! creativemompdx on twitter & instagram, and Creative Mom2010 on flickr!


PMQG: How long have you been making quilts? What was your learning process like?
Petra: I technically made my first quilt for my son so 11 years ago but I really started quilting in 2009. I grew up sewing with my Mom and had a business making knitting needle holders for awhile so I had basic skills but I really didn't have any idea what I was getting into. 

What inspires your designs/quilting?
I am usually inspired by the recipient of a quilt and go from there with fabric choices and designs. 

How many quilts do you think you've made in your life?
Hmmm lets see you know I used to keep track but have no idea now. I don't think it's a huge number but I'm not ready to scour my blog to figure it out.

Why do you quilt? What do you enjoy most about it?
I have a background in fine arts and was always trying to figure out how to get back to painting and drawing. When I started quilting all of that creative energy and obsession came flooding back and I realized I didn't need to paint right now because quilting makes me so happy. I really enjoy the whole process from design to quilting, binding not so much. 

What is your favorite quilt that you've made?

I think it's a tie between my Untitled linen quilt I made for the 2011 Sisters show and my scrappy + & X quilt which was so much work but totally worth it!
Untitled Linen Quilt

Scrappy + & X Quilt


Fill in the blank: "When I'm quilting, I feel _______"
Happy!

While you're quilting, what is the environment like? do you listen to music? enjoy the humming of the machine? watch re-runs of Downton Abbey? 
I listen to music and catch up on episodes of Car Talk and other radio shows using the NPR ap. When I am binding though I am in front of the tv.

Petra's Studio Space: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments but we don't like spam. Thanks for your patience. Your comments will appear soon, we promise!