Sunday, February 2, 2014

Book Review: Vintage Quilt Revival

Hello PMQG! This is secretary Kelly Cole and I am here to review an amazing new quilt book from some lovely ladies from blogland: Vintage Quilt Revival. Co-authors Lee Heinrich from Freshly Pieced, Faith Jones from Fresh Lemon Quilts and Katie Blakesley from SwimBikeQuilt are not just fabulous quilters but also really accessible ladies who love to share their passion for quilting.

Vintage Quilt Revival
Interweave/F+W Media; $27.99

I have been following the trio for a while, and when the buzz of Vintage Quilt Revival started I was so excited when the pictures started rolling out. It really is a treasure trove of interesting blocks, solid quilting how-to's, and so many setting and color options. I love how each of the 20 blocks in the book has instructions on how to construct the block and then a quilt made with the block interpreted through one of the designers. And it's really them! The paper pieced blocks, colors and the settings are just spot on for each of their styles. The book feels like such an extension of their blogs.



So when I asked for a copy to review and give away to a lucky PMQG member I was super happy to get a big "yes," and I dove into making a block from the book. I choose the Exploding Star Block; a paper pieced block that I could not take my eyes off of! The super awesome part of this book is that it comes with an easy-to-navigate CD for printing all the paper-pieced templates. Love that!



The block was super easy to make, and the points were so pointy thanks to the paper pieced method. I used my favorite DS Quilt fabrics, that's how much I love this book! Once I made the block I sewed it up into a new pillow for the couch. A little machine quilting and hand quilting, finished off with a hidden side zipper.


But I couldn't stop there! I got ambitious and made the New World Pouch too! This sweet mid-sized pouch uses a mini version of the Mayflower block and it is tiny, thanks to the paper pieced method again. I used little scraps from the pillow and some yummy Essex linen.


I just love the construction details on the pouch. I finally learned this brilliant move for tabs at the end of zippers, so pro!

So all in all can you tell I love this book? I am dying to get my own copy, but one lucky PMQG member will take this lovely book home at our next meeting on Tuesday, February 18! If you can't wait till then it's available for purchase right now!

Cheers!
Kelly
Blue Bird Sews

2 comments:

  1. Your projects turned out great, Kelly! And that book -- it looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! They were super fun to make! I hope someone has a lot of fun with this book! -- Kelly

      Delete

We love comments but we don't like spam. Thanks for your patience. Your comments will appear soon, we promise!