Friday, October 11, 2013

An Interview with Katie Pedersen

We're so excited to have Katie Pedersen give our October presentation! Here are some questions she answered for us.





How did you get started quilting?

I tease that I’m a hybrid of self-taught and learning through osmosis.  I didn’t start quilting until 2007, but my mom was always quilting.  Naturally, I would watch her here and there, so I’m sure that’s where some of my natural inclination to quilt in certain ways comes from.  The rest I just muddled through. 

I’ve spent a lifetime in fabric stores with my mom, but traditional fabrics never inspired me.  It wasn’t until fabrics started being designed in colors and an aesthetic that appealed to me that I had any interest.  Now I could practically open a fabric store with my stash alone. 



What makes quilting important to you? To the world? In other words, why do you do it? 

I’m terribly grumpy if I don’t get a chance to create during the day.  I just have a drive to create. I’m sure my family appreciates that about me, the grumpy part that is.

I enjoy teaching and sharing how I think about quilting because I believe art is culturally important in our mad-science driven society.  I was lucky enough to be raised in a family with an appreciation for art, but as a society we need to place value on the arts and support individuals that are drawn to it for careers. We all have something creative to contribute.


How many quilts have you made?

Tons.  Some I love and some were learning opportunities.





What’s the hardest part of quilting for you?

Great, it’s done, now how the hell do I quilt it?


How long does it take you to make a quilt?  How old is your oldest UFO?

It just really depends.  Often I don’t know what direction it’s going in, so I pull it off the design wall until something sparks some creativity.  Sometimes I get determined and push through.





What's the tool or technique you swear you would die if you couldn't use it anymore? 

Design Wall.  If I could have a padded room I would.


What's the one thing you absolutely must do/see when you come to Portland?

Only one? I’m for sure going to be at Modern Domestic teaching a Modern Crazy Piecing workshop on Friday, October 18th, but besides that I always love to eat good food, drink a cocktail that doesn’t make me feel like I was kicked by a mule the next day, search for a bar that serves Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and walk.  

 *******************************************************************************************

Thanks, Katie! 

You can still sign up for Katie's class at Modern Domestic (and get 10% off!) Modern Crazy Piecing runs from 10 am to 5 pm on Friday, October 18th. 

All pictures are by Katie Pedersen, from her blog, Sew Katie Did.

Thanks to Teresa Coates for some of the interview questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments but we don't like spam. Thanks for your patience. Your comments will appear soon, we promise!