Monday, October 14, 2013

Business Member Spotlight--Cool Cottons

One of our business members for October is Cool Cottons!




Hours and location of Cool Cottons:

Mon Tues Wed Fri Sat 10am-6pm
Thurs 12pm-8pm
Sun 12pm-5pm 

2417 SE Hawthorne Blvd  
Portland, OR 97214 
503-232-0417

www.coolcottons.biz

 
What’s the best thing about owning your particular business?

I get to play with fabric all day long with other people who like to play with fabric.


How long have you been in business?

Wow, in January it will be 7 years!


What’s been your favorite order/customer/memorable moment as a business owner?

Believe it or not we actually had a wedding at cool cottons.   One of our customers needed a quickie wedding (long story) and another of our customers officiated.  I don't know that it was my favorite moment but it was certainly memorable.  
Other than that just the day to day interactions with our customers.  We have the BEST CUSTOMERS EVER. 


What other jobs/businesses have you worked/owned?

I worked for USAirways for 18 years in Reservations (which is where I taught myself to quilt) .   




What made you want to go into this field of work?

Mostly, I wanted to work somewhere that people were happy to be. When people come in to a fabric shop they are generally in a good mood, and if they're not it doesn't usually take them long to get there.   I love fabric,  they love fabric,  everybody's happy.

 
Do you still have time to do your own quilting and sewing while owning your business?

I do less sewing and quilting than I used to but I still manage to get a few things done. In my head I am making things all day long...does that count?


Does your store have classes, get-togethers, or special events you’d like to mention?

We no longer do classes but we do have one huge sale at the end of the year and occasionally a few smaller ones just because I feel like it (or need room on our shelves because I over ordered).  Just check our FaceBook page,  or sign up for our newsletter on our website www.coolcottons.biz so you'll be the first to know. Don't worry I won't spam you, I am entirely too lazy to send out more than one or two newsletters a year :-)   



Pot Holders Mobile by Anne Whiting


What would you like to see PMQG do to strengthen the quilting community in the Portland

I think PMQG does an excellent job, especially with meet-ups, exchanges, speakers etc. I also truly appreciate you encouraging your members to shop local.  

As far as strengthening the quilting community in Portland, maybe do some type of quilt show in a venue that is not an organized quilt show, the lobby of an office building, a restaurant, farmers market, somewhere unexpected.  It doesn't have to be full size quilts, maybe pennants/potholders strung as a garland or mobile.   One of our customers had her own one day/one woman quilt show at a mattress shop in the Pearl for First Thursday.  pop-up quilt show?



Thank you, Marie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments but we don't like spam. Thanks for your patience. Your comments will appear soon, we promise!